Friday, August 26, 2011

Wedding Cake Topper!

When my husband and I got married, we decided to for-go the traditional wedding cake topper of the bride and groom and went with monograms instead.






The monograms were too pretty to just throw away, but because of the spikes on the ends of them, we really couldn't just display them any old way. So they were put in a box. For 5 years! And now that the hectic chaos of moving is over, I found them and decided now was the time to do something with them.

I started off by sawing the pokers off the tips of the letters




I had to take sandpaper to the edges because the saw left a bit of a ridge on the bottom






I Google searched the silhouette of a heart, printed out the one I liked and then cut it out to use as a stencil. I used Watercolor paper to glue everything down on because A.) It is really sturdy paper and B.) because it is the only paper I had that was long enough to fit inside my 11x14 frame!






I grabbed out my Box O' Buttons and used my entire arsenal of red buttons to make the heart! Seriously, I have maybe 2 red buttons left after this project.... I had to arrange them on the heart shape first to make sure I got the placement right, then used my glue gun to stick them to the paper.


I should have remembered how painful it was to use hot glue and buttons from this project. But I didn't. So I had hot glue burning my fingertips with each and every button I pushed down, seeping up through the holes. *wince*  And then glue buttons on top of the others to fill in any big white gaps.
You should probably remember to erase your pencil lines before gluing the buttons down (in sections) or else you'll have to peel them off and then re-glue them like I did!

I had to figure out exactly how I wanted the monograms to be placed and then hot glued those onto the paper as well.

After all that, I just stuck it in the frame and hung it on our bedroom wall.




I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out. Maybe some day I'll take it back out and write our wedding date on the bottom right corner, but for now it shall stay the way it is.

 *And the TV reflection you see in the frame...It's Ni-Hao Kai Lan tickling the sun awake*

Project Level: Easy-Peasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from my readers!